Monday, June 22, 2009

PC Gaming is not dead! (It's just sometimes broken.)

Wikipedia on Edgar Martinez:

"Martínez, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Stan Musial, Rogers Hornsby, Lou Gehrig, and Manny Ramirez are the only players in history with 300 home runs, 500 doubles, a career batting average higher than .300, a career on-base percentage higher than .400 and a career slugging percentage higher than .500."

Why isn't he in the Hall of Fame?

As a Mariner fan I can't help but randomly rant about such issues on occasion. Be forewarned, these issues may also include the Seahawks, Blazers and Redwings for future reference. There will almost certainly be the singular mention of the Oklahoma City Thunder. Right now seems like a good time, just to get it out of the way and off the table. They should have been called the Bombers. Tastless, yes. But it still stings.

Sorry about that. /Rant


I have been playing PC games a lot lately. I picked up The Witcher recently, and I really want to like it. I absolutely love to dig deep into a good RPG. I've put over 400 hours in Oblivion and well over 150 in Fallout 3. I played through Mass Effect 5 times. I have finished Lost Odyssey and I am also very close to finishing Blue Dragon, and that is just a list of Xbox 360 RPG's. The problem comes in when I try to play it.

It's made by a small developer, CD Projekt RED, that have done a great job of supporting the game since it's release. I tend to let quite a few things when that is the case. This game crashes after 30-45 minutes of play everytime without question. For me, that just puts it on a level of annoying that keeps me from wanting to start playing it again. Here's to hoping that 1.5 patch that is soon to be released will fix this issue amongst others. There stands to be a relatively good chance of that as well. We are talking about a company that has gone to the trouble already of re-recording the voice work for the game, due to complaints regarding the quality of the performance. They also give registered users an upgrade to the Enhanced Edition for free, which is a pretty cool thing to do. I'd like to play it, but I just can't.

So instead, I have been getting down on some Flight Sim X, Plants vs. Zombies, World of Goo and Spore mostly. I have also been messing around with a Simbin racer that feels pretty realistic and nice to drive. Flight Sim X has been getting the most attention, especially the Extra 300s. That is one enjoyable plane to fly, it's just a bit rough to land though. Plants vs. Zombies has really appealed to the OCD side of my gaming habbits, as I have purchased everything and have a 100' tree. Spore got addicting for a breif time, but quickly became tedious and World of Goo is relaxing. That's about the extent of my gaming lately, post-E3.

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us