Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Facinating. (Minor Spoilers)


I just got back from watching Star Trek, and I wanted to put a post up while it was still fresh in my mind. I must admit it was actually pretty good, though I will refrain from the unbridled praise that many have bestowed on this film. I am an avid Star Trek fan, and was not very optimistic from the onset, but found it to be a pretty good tribute to the series.

First off the cast did a supreme job of emulating the characters we love so much. A pretty tough task to pull off without being cheesy, but they were exceptional. The interaction between Bones, Kirk and Spock was almost perfect. No one will ever posses the chemistry that the original three always had, but I don't think a better job could have been done.

The plot was not the best out of all the movies, my opinion to be sure, but every scene was well executed. I must admit J.J. Abrams did a great job in bringing his vision to the screen. The subtle and not so subtle references never came off as cheap to me. I especially enjoyed the passing reference to Admiral Archer as on of the few who enjoyed Enterprise. And to get a glimpse of the characters pasts was quite enjoyable as well.

If this is the beginning of a new franchise, it would seem it is being taken in a slightly different direction, or should I say, the characters have slightly altered their heading. I don't find this to be a detriment though, the Star Trek universe has always allowed for infinite possibilities, and as long as the franchise is being handled with this much respect and care, it will be well worth watching.

It just has to be said, I still have a hard time completely accepting the new cast, and I'm not sure why. Although I have no doubt, they will surely grow on me in the future. They were splendid after all. So in summation, not perfect, but a fitting tribute nonetheless.

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us