Monday, May 11, 2009

Will This Be The Summer Of 2D?



While I was gone, I had planned on some serious game time. As it turned out, I didn't get a ton in. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, dad just needed a little help doing some yard work. Simple, but time consuming. My gaming was relegated to short bursts, mostly during Mariner games, which they lost by the way. So I really got down on some Neo-Geo fighting action in the form of Art of Fighting 1-3, Fatal Fury 1-3, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, King of Fighters 94-2003, Ninja Masters, Real Bout 1-2, Samurai Showdown 1-4 and SVC Chaos. I fell in love with the SNK fighters all over again.

I never owned a Neo-Geo in it's heyday. How could I? I was a teenager when it was released, and convincing my parents to plunk $600+ on a console with $150+ games was not an option. I already had several systems at that point, and could buy nearly three Super Nintendo's for the price of one Neo-Geo. So playing SNK fighters was either done in the arcade, or the rare inferior SNES port, but I always liked them very much.

I quickly found myself scouring the web for Neo-Geo game FAQ's and movelists and came upon a wealth of information. I also found something very interesting that was old news that had slipped under my radar. King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match is coming to XBLA. Really!?!? Yes, really.

So I focused on playing King of Fighters 98 in hopeful anticipation of the XBLA release, scouring the web for more info in between bouts. I remembered that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was announced recently, and that King of Fighters XII was coming soon(minus Mai most likely, BOO!), and with KoF98UM I noticed a trend. I also read a rumor somewhere on the web, that I haven't been able to find again for the life of me mind you, that Capcom vs. SNK may also be coming to XBLA. A rumor to be sure, but it doesn't seem that far fetched with the recent success of titles like SSFIITHDR and SFIV. If that indeed happens, could SNK vs. Capcom be far behind? I would surely hope not.

Believe me when I tell you, owning these games is a foregone conclusion for me. I love my 2D fighters, and as much as I love the Capcom games, I want X-Men: Children of the Atom and Darkstalkers like no one's business, the SNK fighters strike a chord in me like no other. I surely hope the already announced titles are successful, because that will only mean more are surely to come. Heck, Japan is getting alot of love, why can't we? This truly could be the summer of 2D.

No comments:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us